Friday, September 8, 2017

Books Out, Books In

It has been a productive week. 

Even though it was wrenching to do so, I donated a stack of 15 books to Locust Grove Historic Home for its used book sale that is held twice a year. Like Marie Kondo suggests, I thanked them for the joy they had brought me and wished them well. 

A session of furniture rearranging on Labor Day was what spurred me on to cull those few volumes. A friend did most of the heavy lifting and even tidied up a bookshelf or two. I am pleased with the new arrangement but feel as if I have moved house. What used to sit on my right side is now on my left and vice versa. I am having a devil of a time trying to reorient myself. 


Image result for six feet under dorothy simpson

As for my reading, I started right into the second Inspector Thanet mystery (I wrote about him last week). I like it even better than the first. In Six Feet Under he is investigating the murder of a somewhat dowdy middle-aged woman and discovers she had a penchant for snooping. That will certainly get one into trouble...although murder seems a bit extreme. But maybe there was blackmail involved as piles of money are found under the dead woman's mattress. We shall see.


Image result for the cuckoo's calling

There has been a stir about the new BBC production of Strike - The Cuckoo's Calling. This series of seven episodes is based on the mystery written by JK Rowling under the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith. I downloaded a copy of the book from my library. I was surprised it was available. I will start it as soon as Inspector Thanet solves his case.


Image result for the little virtues

Finally, I stumbled across a short article by memoirist Vivian Gornick who wrote that her love of personal essays began when she read The Little Virtues by Natalia Ginzburg. I was not familiar with Ms. Ginzburg, but I too am a fan of the personal essay. Luckily, my library had a copy of the book and as of today it sits by my reading chair. It is slim — a little over 100 pages. It has a copyright and translation date of 1985, although it was originally published in 1962 in Italy.

That pretty much wraps up the reading portion of the week. There is a touch of autumn in the air and even though I suspect a few more days of hot weather will arrive in a blast, I am happy that summer is winding down. 

2 comments:

  1. Taking a moment to rest from hurricane preparations to check in--sounds like you're ready for a new season at home and in your reading. I would like to hear what you think of the essays, because I love to read them, too, and I would like to read more works in translation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy. I will let you know about the essays. As soon as my mind settles a bit and I can concentrate.

      Keeping an eye on the storm although I am too far north (yikes, I never think of myself as 'north') to be affected. We will see some rain next week I am sure but nothing like what you all are preparing for.

      Be safe.

      Delete