Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Dance to the Music of Time

The twelve novels that make up A Dance to the Music of Time
by Anthony Powell

Yesterday's presentation at the Monday Afternoon Club was another one involving a book, or I should say books. The topic for the January and February papers is "Great Journeys of the Past". This week's presenter chose to look at the fictional journey through life of Nicholas Jenkins, the narrator of twelve novels known collectively as A Dance to the Music of Time. 

Written by Anthony Powell (who was Welsh so his name is pronounced POHL), the novels were published between 1951 and 1975 and depict life between World War I and just after World War II. 

I would have liked to have heard a bit more about Mr. Powell (1905-2000), but the presenter quoted a lot from the books which I found to be tedious. Not the author's words, just the being read to...

Anyway, as luck would have it, after the meeting (which is held in the community room of a branch library) I was browsing through the branch's DVD collection and, lo and behold, there were the first three recordings of the 1997 television series based on the books and produced by Britain's Channel Four.

Well, I can tell you I snapped up all three of them up and am ready to settle in for a couple of nights and 'watch' the novels. I have the fourth and final DVD on request and it should be available by time I get to that point in the series. It will be fun to watch the characters flit around from upper class party to picnic in their tuxedos!

I know this is sort of cheating, but so be it. The idea of 3000 pages for the twelve novels seems a bit daunting! For now, I think I will simply watch the DVDs and read a biography of Mr. Powell. I see that he also published his memoirs and journals.

Has anyone read the entire A Dance to the Music of Time or even one or two of the volumes? 

8 comments:

  1. Sounds rather interesting. I may have to see if I can get these on library loan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joyce. See Laura's comment below about a group reading one of the novels a month. Perhaps you could join in. I hope your library has copies of these novels.

      Delete
    2. My library doesn't have it but I am going to request on library loan

      Delete
    3. I hope you can get the books or the DVDs. I find the story to be quite compelling. The actors are very fine and some of the characters are quite charming and funny.

      Delete
  2. I am reading this series one book per month for the next year with Heavenali. (http://heavenali.wordpress.com/) The first book (A Question of Upbringing for January) was wonderful. You should join us. Here's the link to the first book on her blog:

    http://heavenali.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/a-question-of-upbringing-anthony-powell-1951/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Laura. Well,now there is a coincidence! I will check out the link and perhaps join you. One book a month seems reasonable. Thanks for the information. I must say I am enjoying the television version. All those wonderful manor houses and fabulous fashions!

      Delete
  3. Belle, I'd love to see the DVD! Our library doesn't have it.

    The good thing about A Dance to the Music of Time is that it's a very easy read.. A person just devours it~. Actually I'd love to read it again, because some of the characters are so comical!

    But why doesn't my library have the DVD? I would love to see this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry your library is so behind the 'times', Kat. Maybe an inter-library loan? It is quite a compelling story. I most likely will at least try to read Book One. I love the time period that the novels cover. The TV adaptation shows it off perfectly!

      Delete