Friday, October 11, 2013

Start the Countdown



Well, I have had to give up on reading The Meaning of Everything, the story of the Oxford English Dictionary, by Simon Winchester. It is a bit too dense and I find that right now I cannot concentrate on the information presented. I know that this too shall pass and so I will keep this book on my TBR List and eventually come back to it another day. 

Yikes! I am down to the final days before my research paper presentation this Monday on several of the female archaeologists who explored historic sites in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I guess you know what I will be doing this weekend: final editing tweaks and practice, practice, practice. 

These papers, and this is my fifth, do take up a lot of time. Weeks, days, and hours of study and research and writing and worrying all culminating in a 30-minute presentation. Whew. But truly, it is a project that I enjoy or I wouldn't bother. I look on these papers as a continuation of my self-directed education.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck this weekend putting the finishing touches on your paper. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. And even though you enjoy it, I'm sure you'll have a sense of relief when you're done, and you might even reward yourself with some...reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. For sure I will reward myself with some reading on a different subject and perhaps...a Blizzard!

      Delete
  2. Wish we could hear your presentation, or read it. It is an interesting topic. Know you will hold everyone's interest and inspire them to learn more.

    Joyce in KS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce. I hope the 'ladies of the club' will find it entertaining! I had fun researching the topic

      Delete
  3. Good Luck! You are brave! I recall to this day "freezing" when I took the rostrum for our college team at the Literary Debating Society when just 14. I can still recall the physical feeling (panic, nausea et al) No pressure Belle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tullik. Back in the day you wouldn't have caught me speaking in front of an audience, but I have come to like the limelight...just for a short while. Anyway, all these ladies are facing having to present a paper as well, so they will be gentle!

      Delete