Saturday, October 19, 2013

And So We Prepare to Begin

Mapmaker: John Melish
1813

Tomorrow is the start of my Grand Southern Literary Tour 2013. The itinerary includes St. Augustine, Florida; Savannah, Georgia; and Chimney Rock, North Carolina with surprises along the way.

I have my list of bookstores that I want to browse through, historic homes with literary connections that I want to visit, many maps, tour books, and my charge card.

My traveling companion, Rose, will be with me again this year. She accompanied me on last year's Grand Southern Literary Tour and was a great help in navigating and spotting intriguing places to stop along the way.

Now that the U.S. government is back to work, we should be able to visit Carl Sandburg's home in Flat Rock, N.C. It is part of the national park system and was closed during the shutdown.  I have been there before but that was many, many years ago. Rose has never been to the site and we were both disappointed when we thought we would not get to visit. But now, it is definitely a planned stop.

I don't know what my blogging schedule will be, but on last year's trip I was able to post every day. Even if the entry is just a photo or two, I will do my best to keep you updated on our adventures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment