Saturday, August 31, 2013

In Which I Plan Some Armchair Travel


A woman lounging on a chair reading a book.

It's a three-day weekend here - we are celebrating Labor Day which honors the contributions of American workers and also pretty much puts a cap on summer. 

I have plenty to read since I just brought home eight books from the recent used book sale (here and here).

I will be traveling up the Seine with Mort Rosenblum (The Secret Life of the Seine). I also would like to get started on Bill Bryson's tale of hiking the Appalachian Trail (A Walk in the Woods). And, I will be dipping into the two books of essays (Best American Essays 1994 and 2000).

The temperature will be hovering in the mid-90s which is as good an excuse as any to stay indoors and relax with a good book.

What's on your list this weekend? 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh. I just now finished preparing a blog post for Monday about armchair travel! Great minds think alike?

    Today's my son's birthday, and he's coming home from college for a day tomorrow, so I'll be making him a cake. (I'll also be in Appalachia, with Barbara Kingsolver's Flight Behavior.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I love seeing the world and never having to leave my chair! No way would I take a trip on a boat or hike a trail...I'll look forward to reading about your travels.

      Gosh, it has been years since anyone baked me a cake for my birthday. I hope you all enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Hey, new visitor here :)

    My weekend is nearly over, but I have managed to write a book review and not only start a new book but finish it too, so now I've another review to write up.

    I hope you're enjoying your long weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Nikki-ann. You seem to have accomplished a lot! I hope you enjoyed your weekend book. I just added two more books to my 'armchair travel' itinerary. I have a feeling that the long weekend won't be long enough!

      Delete