Sunday, August 4, 2013

Books Across the Threshold



Three more books wandered (mostly) unbidden across my threshold yesterday.

My neighbor brought over a copy of So Big by Edna Ferber that she and her book club had just read and that she thought I might enjoy. I have not read anything by Ms. Ferber but this book, published in 1924, won the Pulitzer Prize. Ms. Ferber also penned Show Boat, Giant, and Cimarron. All of these novels were made into movies. Surely we have all seen Giant starring Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, and James Dean.

Another volume that strolled in was a mystery by a local author Gerald McDaniel. I recently met Mr. McDaniel and he kindly sent me a copy, by way of a mutual friend, of this tale, Night Sweats & Graffiti, which takes place during the tumultuous month of September 2001.

The third book was Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West by Stephen Ambrose. Apparently, right now, I cannot get enough of Lewis and Clark and their Corps of Discovery expedition. It was offered on Amazon as an ebook for $1.99. Click.

So my book pile grew by three in the space of just a few hours. Anything of interest find its way onto your stack?

6 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I read Edna Ferber's books - another author to add to my reread list. I read somewhere that if you didn't like to do crossword puzzles, you should read books you haven't read before to exercise your brain. While I enjoy discovering new authors and trying out different genres, I still love a re-read.

    No more books added to my stash this weekend but I did splurge on Cottage Journal's AUTUMN issue. Just having a copy laying around adds an autumn feel even if I don't use one single idea from it. I do love autumn tho it seems like everyone is trying to rush it this year. School starts next week! We've had over 5 inches of rain this past week (it's raining off and on today) with rain in the forecast till Thursday..so everything is a brillant green.
    Why didn't I plan to retire October 1 instead of Jan 1???? I do have a week off planned for Oct though. Sorry, getting off the subject.

    Joyce in KS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love autumn as well, Joyce, and always try to take a trip or two then. I am not familiar with Cottage Journal. I will see if my library carries it. I try not to bring magazines into the house as they tend to stack up!

      Retirement at any time of the year is perfect!

      Delete
  2. I think it quite lovely when books "wander" by. No new books entered the threshold, but, I did buy my 2013/13 desk calendar on Friday. I've used the Reading Woman calendar before, but, didn't last year. When it presented itself at the gift shop in the Art Institute of Chicago on Friday, it ended up coming home with me. Have you seen it, Belle? Lovely images of women reading, along with good quotes - and a good desk calendar as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, you so casually toss off that you were at the Art Institute on Friday! That is one place to visit that has been on my Life List for ages. I am jealous! And yes, I have seen the Reading Woman calendars and they are certainly lovely. The trouble with those art calendars is that I have a difficult time throwing them out and then...clutter!

      I recently decided I must get to Chicago very soon and have been nosing around The Palmer House's website. My parents spent their honeymoon there and I feel the urge to spend a night or two in that grand hotel. And of course visit the Art Institute.

      Delete
  3. See, that's just how it happens. You're minding your own business, and BAM, books descend on you. Not that I'm complaining.

    I didn't add any new books this weekend, but it's a rare week that goes by that doesn't find one or more books entering my life. My library, which I visit almost every week--yikes!) has a bookstore attached to it, and I often find one or two books to buy for bargain prices, not to mention magazines which are free (and thus irresistible).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of the library branches have started selling books that people bring in and donate. I think it is a great service. I have found some real gems on those sale tables. I haven't seen magazines, though. That could be dangerous!

      Delete