Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Coincidences of Time



I notice when months, days, and years are mentioned in a book that I am reading and love when they correspond to the actual time that I am reading the book.

For example, today I began reading Walker Percy's The Moviegoer. The second sentence has the narrator, Binx Bolling, state that  "today is Wednesday" and sure enough, in my world as well, today is Wednesday. The action takes place in New Orleans around the time of Mardi Gras which would also be about this time of year.

In another coincidence of time, on Friday I bought at a book sale the Modern Library Edition of Montaigne - Selected Essays. In his  'To The Reader' description of what one can expect from the book, Montaigne writes these words:

So farewell, from Montaigne, this first day of March, fifteen hundred and eighty. 

OK. So I bought this book, to the day, 433 years after Montaigne penned those words.

I just think these coincidences are kind of spooky. But in a good, bookish sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment