Saturday, March 2, 2013

A Bag from a Book Sale


Oh joy. Another book sale. This one for the benefit of a local historic home. The home has two book sales a year and I certainly benefited from going to one last August (here).

I was quite restrained in my buying. I bought four hardback books. I must have picked up and put down many more but I try to zero in on the hardcovers and choose ones that I feel I will want to keep.

Here is the loot:

Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America (1984) edited by David Willis McCullough. 

Here in a whopping 725 pages are two novels, a novella, and fourteen short stories by some of my favorite mystery writers - Christie, Stout, Westlake and Chandler. The novels include The Chill by Ross MacDonald and Death Notes by Ruth Rendell.  This should keep me 'guessing' for quite a while.

A Wodehouse Bestiary (1985) edited by D.R. Bensen.

Oh, Mr. Wodehouse. How I do adore thee. A collection of your always witty stories starring your wonderful human characters - Bertie Wooster, Ukridge, Mr. Mulliner - and their trials and tribulations with characters of the animal kingdom - a swan, a snake and your beloved Pekineses. 

Sacre Bleu: A Comedy D'Art (2012) by Christopher Moore.

I had this on my to-be-read list and snatched it up for a dollar. It is part mystery, part history, and all comedy. The time is the fin-de-siecle Paris. The tale concerns baker-turned-painter Lucien Lessard and Henri Toulouse-Lautrec as they investigate the mystery surrounding Vincent Van Gogh's supposed suicide. Guest stars include Monet, Manet, Renoir and others and includes color photos of their paintings. What fun.

Montaigne Selected Essays (1949) Modern Library Edition.

I love the serendipity of it: Finding this collection just as I was halfway through How to Live: Or A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at an Answer by Sarah Bakewell.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot seem to resist these sort of book sales, Belle. Your choices are excellent. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny. I need to start spending time reading and stop buying for a while!

      Delete