Saturday, December 15, 2012

A Simple Task Completed




It took me a while, but I finally got around to listing (see the tab at the top of the page) the titles of all the books I read in 2011. I remember some with great fondness (2011). 

During the review I checked to see if some of the authors had new books out. I was happy to see that Tarquin Hall has another mystery starring the portly Vish Puri, a crime solving private detective in Dehli. It has the irrepressible title of The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken. This is the third in the series featuring Mr. Puri and his undercover operatives and I have it on my reserve list at the library.

I also discovered that Alan Bradley, author of the Flavia de Luce mysteries, has a fifth book in his series coming out in January 2013: Speaking From Among the Bones.  It too is now on my reserve list.

If you are not yet acquainted with Flavia, she is an 11-year-old girl living with her widowed father and two older sisters in a somewhat decaying country house in England in 1950. She spends most of her time cooking up poisons and other potions in the abandoned chemistry lab at the top of the house. That is when she is not pedaling around the countryside on her bicycle and solving murders. A delight.

I am also putting Alan Bennett's An Uncommon Reader on my list to re-read. It is the novella featuring The Queen and her discovery of the joys of books and reading. It will be saved to be read in an afternoon over a cup of Earl Grey tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment