Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rowan Oak


Rowan Oak
Oxford, Mississippi

Have been thumbing through Traveling Literary America and have read up on Eudora Welty's house and Rowan Oak, the home of William Faulkner. I am glad I did as the book mentions collections of Faulkner works and personal items at the University of Mississippi library. Also there are archives of Welty's photos at another location in Jackson.

I also learned that Faulkner designed the gardens on the east side of the house.

Glancing through the book's entries I am amazed at how many places I have been that have writer's houses or museums that I didn't know about. For instance, I was just in Savannah about a year ago and yet had no idea that Flannery O'Connor's childhood home is there and open to visitors.

I really must start doing my homework before I set out on any more journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment