Monday, April 9, 2012

One Writer's Beginnings

Eudora Welty's house
Jackson, Mississippi
In preparation for the Grand Southern Literary Tour coming up I am reading One Writer's Beginnings by Eudora Welty. I have had the book for many years and have started it maybe five or six times never getting past the first couple of pages. Since I am planning a trip to Welty's house in Jackson, Mississippi, this time I will persevere.

Ms. Welty was born in 1909. She was the eldest of three children. Her father, she said, thought of the future. Her mother loved to read. Eudora herself read all the time and loved to listen to the stories (more like gossip, she thinks) told by her mother's friends. Rich fodder for the aspiring writer.

I admit I have not read much of her work. "Why I Live at the P.O." I read just for it's wonderful title. I could not tell you what it was about. I am not much on "Southern" writing. Characters seem to be hyper-bizarre and not all that attractive. I must be missing something.

Anyway, I will finish this book and maybe I will have a greater appreciation for the genre. I am sure I will have a great appreciation for Ms. Welty.

No comments:

Post a Comment