Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pinball Reader

Reading is so much like playing a fast game of pinball. Flip the flapper and ding! ding! another book comes into play. For example, let's take Edith Wharton who has been making appearances on book blogs recently in celebration of the 150th anniversary of her birth.

I started out the year reading her French Ways and Their Meaning written in Paris in 1919. After WWI was over, Wharton traveled in Morocco as the guest of the first French resident general, Hubert Lyautey and his wife. Wharton stayed in their home in Marrakesh, the Bahai Palace which was built in the late 1800s. This palace and the fact that Ms. Wharton stayed there is mentioned in the book A Lighthearted Quest by Ann Bridge which I recently finished.

That mention led me to see if Wharton had written anything about her travels in Morocco. She had and cleverly named the book In Morocco. I just now downloaded it onto my Nook for free.

See what I mean. Ding!Ding!

No comments:

Post a Comment