Friday, February 24, 2012

Ohio Book Store




OBS buildingWell, I did discover that there is an independent bookstore in downtown Cincinnati. It is the Ohio Book Store and was established in 1940. Unfortunately, I was unable to visit.

Its website shows a wonderful photo of the store front. The 1916 building has five stories of books and magazines, a book bindery and repair department, and the owner does appraisals of rare books and documents.

The store closes at 4:45 p.m. I guess its employees want to try and beat the traffic. Anyway, a trip saved for another day. It does look like a lovely place to while away an afternoon, doesn't it?

Instead of books (except the abused ones I wrote about yesterday), for the past two days my friend and I saw hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of home furnishings and accessories: sofas, chairs, tables, desks, dishes and cutlery, pillows, rugs, lamps and baskets. Pictures and maps. Frames and footstools, clocks and cabinets. Quite overwhelming really. I wonder if there are enough rooms in enough houses to be outfitted with them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment