Thursday, February 2, 2012

Georgette Heyer - Mystery Writer



Until I read a piece by Michael Dirda praising Georgette Heyer for her wit and charm in his book Classics for Pleasure, I would have snobbily refused to read her thinking she just wrote Edwardian romance novels. Oh, how wrong I was.

I discovered one of the twelve mysteries she wrote when I was browsing the few books left on the shelves when one of the three Borders stores in my city was closing. I was smitten not only by the cover but by the characters and the plotting. When the two other Borders stores closed a few months later, I went and scooped up another four of her mysteries.

Now, the remaining seven are in my cart at Amazon. At $12 a piece, that is a chunk of change, but I must have them. I love everything about these books - inside and out. The size is perfect. The covers are gorgeous. I obsess.  They are available for my Nook, but I don't want the ebooks. I simply must have all of her mysteries on my shelves. And I am afraid that if I don't go ahead and order the remaining seven, the publisher will come out with a new edition that won't match the ones I have.

Oh, the trials and tribulations of a book lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment