Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Wish

Here then is the final paragraph, December's, from "Stillmeadow Calendar":

"What the new year may bring, we cannot know, but I pray blessings may fall on us as softly as apple blossoms fall in spring. And then I put out the guttering candles on the trestle table and go to bed, feeling that tomorrow will be another adventure in living!"

Speaking of adventures, I have been visiting Wales lately.

"Castles in the Air" by Judy Corbett is her tale of renewing a castle in Wales with her husband. It is a rolicking story told in her warm and funny voice.

This morning I finished the last two chapters of "A Writer's House in Wales" by Jan Morris. It is part of a series published by National Geographic. I have read another in the series, Anna Quindlen's "Imagined London" and have two more on request from the library: "In a Paris Quartier" by Diane Johnson and "Mr. Jefferson's University" by Garry Wills.

And, I recently watched "Framed" with one of my favorite actors, Trevor Eve. It was a Masterpiece Theatre program. When London's National Gallery floods, its paintings are sent to be stored in an abandoned slate mine in Wales. The story is based on a book by Frank Cottrell Boyce. I see that my library has a copy. It is listed as a children's book and the story is told from the point of view of a young man in the Welsh family that lives in the village. On it goes to my request list.

No comments:

Post a Comment